Friday, August 27, 2010

Asian Makeup Tips from Taylor Chang-Babaian

Photobucket

Hey Dolls!

Last year I attend the International Makeup Artist Trade show and I had the opportunity to sit in on Celebrity Makeup Artist, Taylor Chang-Babaian class. I wanted to attend her class because I want to specialize in makeup for Women of Color. I myself is a Women of Color and many of my friends are all different nationalities and I hear so many people say its hard to apply makeup to a person with Asian descent So I wanted to see if it was really that difficult, from the looks of it I didn’t think it was that difficult. To my surprise it wasn’t difficult at all! Taylor Chang-Babaian specializes in Asian Makeup. She has an amazing book called Asian Faces (which I own a copy). The book shows great makeup application tips and my favorite part is it shows you how to apply eye shadow and liner to different Asian eye shapes.

Photobucket

Here are a few tips from my notes that I wanted to share with guys from the class.

On her model Taylor Chang-Babaian did a Smokey eye! It came out so Gorgeous! She went through an entire makeup application step-by-step on her model from highlighting to contouring to lipgloss.

Highlighting and Contouring Techniques
When highlighting and contouring you want to highlight your good features and contour the ones you want to hide.

Highlight Shade- brings it forward
Contour Shade- brings it back

Apply your Highlight shade under your eyes and to the bridge of your nose. Apply your contour shade on your forehead and hallows of your cheeks. Tap it on with a brush and don’t rub or buff it on, so it doesn’t move or ruin your foundation.

Layering Techniques for Eye shadow

Layer 1: Highlight
Under the brow bone apply a highlight color

Layer 2 is where your going to see the most amount of color. She applied a Black eye shadow to the entire lid. Than she used the same color and applied it to the lower lashline.

Layer 3 is done with an eye liner.
Apply the pencil to the top lashline, it doesn’t have to be neat than get a brush and smudge it out. When the eyes are closed it looks really thick but when the eyes are open it looks thin.

Apply black eyeliner to the waterline to create balance, apply mascara and lashes.

For filling in the Brows

Don’t start in the front, start at the end of the brow, because that’s where you’ll get the most pigment. Use a darker color at the end of the brows and use a lighter color in the front of the brows. It will make it a lot softer. Then gel the eyebrows.

Applying color to the lips

Conceal the lips because of the undertones. Because she did a Smokey eye she used a nude lip color.

When she finished the makeup application she applied Bronzer to complete the look.

I wish I could show you Dolls pictures, but there was no camera flashes allowed inside the classroom and the pictures came out so dark.

I ALSO FOUND A GREAT WEBSITE CALLED STYLES 101 THAT TELLS YOU GREAT FOUNDATIONS FOR ASIAN SKIN, HOW TO HIGHLIGHT AND CONTOUR, AND EXAMPLES STEP-BY-STEP OF 4 DIFFERENT EYE SHADOW LOOKS FOR ASIAN EYES. IT ALSO SHOWS THE LAYER TECHNIQUE THAT TAYLOR DEMONSTRATED AT THE IMATS. HERE’S THE LINK:

http://styles101.homestead.com/makeup_asian.html

I really hope this and the link I provided was very helpful. Try the look Taylor did and visit the site and let me know what you dolls think?

Thanks for stopping by!

‘till next time Dolls!

Xoxo

keisha

No comments: